Accident and emergency Policy

It is my policy to keep children safe when they are in my care.

My premises have been checked and they meet the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage in England. I also regularly review, update and practise my safety routines, including fire drills.      

As a registered childminder, I am legally required to have a valid first-aid certificate before registration. I can administer basic first-aid treatment, and my first-aid box is clearly labelled and easily accessible. It is stored in the kitchen, in the cupboard next to the fridge. Parent contact numbers are with the first-aid box.

I hold written permission from parents with each Child Record Form to seek emergency treatment for their child if it is needed.

All accidents will be recorded in an accident book and parents will be notified immediately of serious incidents.

As a registered provider I must notify Ofsted of any serious accidents, illnesses or injuries or the death of any child whilst in my care and any action I may have taken within 14 days of an incident occurring.

If I am in need of support or advice regarding a serious illness or incident involving a child in my care I may contact National Childminding Association who will log information regarding the incident with regard to their safeguarding policy. A NCMA designated officer will be assigned to my case and all the information given to them will be kept confidentially unless there appears to be a child protection issue which will be reported accordingly.

If an accident or incident involving a child in my care may result in an insurance claim I will contact my public liability insurance provider to discuss my case and be allocated a claim number. This may involve discussing details of the child in my care with a third party.

I also have an arrangement with another registered childminder to provide emergency back-up cover if necessary.

Procedure (how I will put the statement into practice)

If there is an accident:

If there is an accident or emergency, my emergency back-up cover may contact you and you will be expected to collect your child straight away.

If I manage to deal with the accident myself, then I will tell the affected child’s parents immediately.

If I accompany or take a child to hospital, I will contact their parents and ask them to meet me at the hospital.

If I have an accident, I will get the nearest responsible adult to help, while my emergency back-up people are being contacted.

I will do my best at all times to make sure the children in my care are safe, reassured and kept calm.


Meeting the Early Years Foundation Stage welfare requirements

Safeguarding and promoting children’s welfare The provider must take necessary steps to safeguard and promote the welfare of children.

| Homepage | Contact| About Me |

© The Mouses House. All rights reserved.